½ cup honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Put ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Stir frequently until it becomes foamy. Be careful because the honey can burn easily.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the foam reduces.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat.
- Repeat this until a sugar thermometer reads 148C.
- Drop a bit into a glass of ice water. If the mixture forms a hard, crunchy ball, it’s ready! If not, keep stirring and heating for another minute or two and try with the ice water again.
- Once a hard ball forms from a drop into the ice water, let the saucepan cool until the foam has reduced.
- Drizzle the candy into a candy mold or onto oiled parchment paper.
- Let cool at room temperature until the cough drops are hard.
- Pop out of the mold or break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.
Tip: You can sprinkle them with vitamin C powder to keep them from sticking together.