it’s your turn
You used to be fit & strong – heck perhaps once upon a time you LOVED ‘working out’ – but life just seems to keep getting in the way, and now you are way down at the bottom of your never ending ‘to do’ list… however you know it’s time to start making changes
– OR – Maybe you are fit and strong already , but you are tired of being trained as though you are a 20 year, by 20 year old.
- are worried you won’t be able to keep up,
- have a few niggles you’re not sure how to manage,
- hate feeling pressured to keep up with the 20-somethings (but want to be challenged and not treated like an ‘old lady’),
- hate being yelled at (and burpees!),
- have trouble staying motivated on your own…
If only you coulD finD a way to get fit, AND
- meet other like minded 40+ ‘girls’,
- workout in a judgement free and supportive environment,
- have workouts scaled to meet YOUR fitness level,
- feel strong, fit and flexible,
- be challenged (and get a little sweaty) but not punished,
- have the energy to live life to the fullest!
As women in our 40s and beyond – we need strength training and to lift heavy PLUS we need the right amount and the right type of cardio training.
Lifting heavy is relative to your current fitness level and your training history – but we are not talking about lifting cans of soup or using water bottles as dumbbells.
The right amount and right type of cardio does mean you will get ‘huffy puffy’ and a little bit sweaty – but that’s ok, because exercise isn’t meant to be pretty!
Our 40s and 50s is the time to ward off early ageing by building strong, fit, flexible bodies that will see us living full independent lives for decades to come.
Age is not an excuse to back off in the gym, however at this age we do tend to come with a few niggles – whether it be from playing netball when we were younger or too many years sitting behind a desk – but this does not mean we cannot be fitter be stronger than we have ever been.
If you want to be trained as the 40 or 50 year old woman you are, to become the strongest you’ve ever been – and not treated as a 20 year old man (or a ‘senior’) – come and check out The Real Girls Movement and find out the difference.
Are you ready to make lasting change?
Are you reaDy to get fit for MIDLIFE?
I don’t yell, and we don’t do burpees – It’s just not my style.
At Real Girls we are REAL, we are human, we come in all shapes, sizes and fitness levels.
Our sessions are fun, friendly & supportive.
WHAT IS REAL GIRLS SWEAT?
Real Girls Sweat is a 40+ ‘girls only’ group fitness membership that is fun, supportive and usually a little SWEATY!
All Real Girls Sweat classes are capped at a maximum of 12 participants so that I can meet your individual needs and provide personalised service – so that no one gets ‘left behind’.
Each workout is different. We focus on functional fitness including strength, flexibility & low impact cardio.
In addition to our in person workouts, being a member of Real Girls Sweat includes:
- a comprehensive on demand workout library delivered using the Real Girls Sweat app
- a live virtual class timetable,
- weekly recipes & healthy habit challenges,
- workshops, seminars & social events,
- plus a tonne of support and accountability,
- PLUS regular local ‘adventures’.
Most of all you will be joining a community of amazing women who support and encourage each other every step of the way.
*Exercises and workouts can be scaled to suit individual needs such as fitness level or injury.
check us out:
Real Girls Sweat + NourishGroup Workouts + 1:1 Nutrition Coaching
- All Real Girls Sweat inclusions PLUS:
- Initial 1:1 45 minute nutrition consultation + goal setting
- Personalised portion and Macro Guide + Recipe starter pack
- Monthly recipe guide and sample menu plan
- 1:1 Nutrition mentoring & education to create a plan that works for you and your family – so that you can achieve your goals.
Real Girls SweatGroup Workouts
- In person classes (unlimited)
- Real Girls Sweat App (on demand workouts & habit tracking)
- Live Virtual classes (unlimited)
- Weekly Recipes and Wellness challenges
- Support and accountability
- Seminars & workshops
- Adventures (Invitations to local social events)
- Resources (eGuides and workbooks)
- Private Facebook group.
- An amazing community of women.
Real Girls Sweat + MomentumGroup Workouts + 1:1 Personal Training
- All Real Girls Sweat inclusions PLUS:
- 1:1 x 45 min PT session per fortnight
- 1:1 Goal setting & Mentoring session (reviewed quarterly)
- Personalised training program delivered via the Real Girls Sweat App + Momentum members sessions at the studio to complete your program.
- 1: 1 Weekly mentoring and accountability. We will trouble shoot and develop strategies to overcome any curveballs that life throws you so that you can take consistent action.
Frequently asked questions
RGS sessions vary – however each week will include a combination of the following session types:
Strength & Conditioning
Once we reach our 30’s we start losing muscle mass due to age. Strength training is the primary treatment for age-related sarcopenia, and provides numerous physical and mental health benefits. It is recommended that women over 40 who are in perimenopause prioritise strength training over other forms of exercise.
Our strength & conditioning sessions provide a full body workout focused on building strength using a combination of more traditional ‘weights’ based exercises and functional exercises and equipment.
Not sure about the importance of strength training – https://realgirls.com.au/the-importance-of-strength-training/
These sessions are designed to test and challenged one major body part or movement pattern – to challenge and improve your strength.
F.I.T. – Functional Interval Training.
Timed circuits that use functional movement and exercises to challenge and improve your coordination, balance, agility and strength.
H.I.I.T. sessions performed correctly, 1 – 2 times a week, have been shown to have health benefits for women over 40 who are in perimenopause.
Our High Intensity Interval Training sessions are low impact cardio session design with a 1:1 or greater (i.e. 3:1) rest:work ratio – to improve cardio fitness and many other health benefits.
Not sure about H.I.I.T – read here https://realgirls.com.au/hiit-what-is-it/
Moderate to high intensity, low impact cardio class, using bodyweight, resistance bands and / or dumbbells to improve cardio fitness.
MMBP – Mobility, Movement, Balance and Power
Designed to improve mobility, flexibility, stability, balance, power and range of movement. A mix of bodyweight & functional training exercises and equipment.
Back to Basics
Back to Basics is a fun class is a total body workout designed to improve strength while increasing your fitness. It’s an easy to follow program for all levels of fitness focusing on function and form.
We don’t do burpees and I won’t yell at you – it’s not my style 🙂
It is a small group training session that is adapted to your needs and perfect for:
– Building a solid foundation
– Ensuring your technique is correct
– Modifying exercises to suit your current fitness level or any minor injury or niggles
– Starting or returning to exercise
– Working at your own fitness level while being encouraged to progress to the next level and beyond in a fun, supportive and non-intimidating environment.
These classes vary each week and are a modified version of the classes above.
Taking the first step to try a new fitness facility can be daunting – I totally get it!
I will do my best to make you feel welcome and at ease – as will the rest of our amazing community.
Feel free to arrive 10-15 minutes early to your first session so that we can have a brief 1:1 chat before we get started – or you can pop into the studion outside of class times to meet me.
All you need to bring with you is a towel and a water bottle – and wear comfortable clothing. No need for fancy or expensive activewear (unless you want to of course 🙂 ).
Oh and what if you’re not over 40?
If you have read this far and feel that the Real Girls approach to fitness is exactly what you are looking for – then shoot me a message and let’s chat!
…and what if you’re over 50 (or 60!)?
Full disclosure – I recently turned 50 🥳 – so I know exactly where you are and where we are headed – call or message me any time to find out more.
1:1 Personal Training
If you have a specific goal, are returning to exercise, need 1:1 guidance or simply prefer 1:1 over group sessions – personal training could be the answer.
Contact me to discuss your needs and session time availability.
45 min sessions
$55 pw – minimum 6 week block.
$60 per session – one off / casual appointments.
1:2-4 Small Group Personal Training
Small group personal training is the perfect compromise between 1:1 and small group training. If you have a friend (or 3), and would like to have your own private session tailored to your needs and goals – small group training could be the answer.
These sessions are also perfect for small groups of work friends to let off some steam, have fun and team build.
60 min sessions
$70 pw + $15 per additional person – minimum 6 week block.
Contact me to discuss your needs and session time availability.
My favourite thing about Real Girls Sweat sessions is being able to exercise in an accepting environment with a trainer who is caring & skilled in her ability to alter every exercise to anyone who has an injury as well as their current ability.
I highly recommend real Girls Sweat and the best way to overcome your fears of main stream ‘gym environments’ is to give Real Girls a go & see that we are all just that, ‘real girls’ just wanting to do something positive for our health & well being.
Jo couldn’t be more helpful and considerate. Never once has she made me or anyone else do a burpee and if I have doubts about doing an exercise she’ll work with me so I can do it.
Jo is genuinely excited when I reach a goal, nail a new exercise or do something really cool like carry a slab and two ten packs at once?!
Joanne’s guidance for proper techniques and motivation, challenges me every week to give that little bit more.
My biggest fear before joining Real Girls, was not being able to keep up with everyone and looking silly.
I now understand that it’s about turning up, doing your best, celebrating your successes with internal fist pumps and feeling so much better at the end of each session…
I love how Jo gives me the gentle “hang in there” and “you can do it” words when I think I have reached my limit, even though I know there is every opportunity to stop for a few seconds and start again, without judgment…
I am 57 and I’m bloody awesome!!
Joining Real Girls Sweat has been a real ‘life’ revamp for me.
I love the friendly and fun atmosphere, the variety in the workouts, the social walks, the warm-up games and the bright, welcoming look of the gym.
Jo is a passionate and dedicated trainer, who has a broad knowledge of health (food and nutrition), movement and fitness that she generously shares with us through workshops, online (FB group) tips and recipes and conversations during our sessions.
Thanks to Jo and the RGS crew, I’m feeling fit, healthy and motivated to make the most each day.
Jo helped me train for my first 10 km run, which I never thought I’d be able to do, and has been in my corner for each event since…
Jo is supportive and has helped me identify different fitness options to suit my lifestyle, so that I could achieve my goals…
I just love her authenticity and genuine care.
My favourite part is the variety, each session is different, you are pushed to work harder and there is never an “easy” session- which is just great!
The group size is also great, having no more than 10 in a class means you don’t get missed.
Jo makes an effort to assist and push us individually, which would probably not be possible in a bigger class.
- NO BURPEES! EVER
- Having the choice of working out when you want, where you want as often as you want – knowing that your workouts have been designed for you.
- Feeling strong, fit and flexible,
- Having the energy to grab life by the short and curlies again!
- Achieving your fitness goals safely & confidently
- Being part of a supportive community of 40+ Real Girls living their best midlife.
COME AND MEET US
IF NOT NOW, WHEN?